- 03/2021: “A Comparative Study on Schema-Guided Dialogue State Tracking” is accepted to NAACL’2021.
- 12/2020: Talk about ‘Task-oriented Conversational Semantic Parsing’ on EMNLP’2020 Watch Party@Amazon Lex
- *Debjyoti Paul, *Jie Cao, Feifei Li, and Vivek Srikumar. 2021. Database Workload Characterization with Query Plan Encoders. arXiv preprint arXiv:2105.12287.
- Jie Cao and Yi Zhang. 2021. A Comparative Study on Schema-Guided Dialogue State Tracking. In Proceedings of the 2021 Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies, pages 782–796.
- Jie Cao, Yi Zhang, Adel Youssef, and Vivek Srikumar. 2019. Amazon at MRP 2019: Parsing Meaning Representations with Lexical and Phrasal Anchoring. In Proceedings of the Shared Task on Cross-Framework Meaning Representation Parsing at the Conference on Natural Language Learning(CoNLL), pages 138–148.
- Jie Cao, Michael Tanana, Zac Imel, Eric Poitras, David Atkins, and Vivek Srikumar. 2019. Observing Dialogue in Therapy: Categorizing and Forecasting Behavioral Codes. In Proceedings of the 57th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics.
- Zhiqiang Liu, Zuohui Fu, Jie Cao, Gerard de Melo, Yik-Cheung Tam, Cheng Niu, and Jie Zhou. 2019. Rhetorically Controlled Encoder-Decoder for Modern Chinese Poetry Generation. In Proceedings of the 57th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics.
- Jie Cao*, Shuo, Sun*, Yik-Cheung Tam*, Canxiang Yan, Zuohui Fu, Cheng Niu, and Jie Zhou. 2019. End-to-end Gated Self-attentive Memory Network for Dialog Response Selection. In AAAI DSTC7 Workshop (Equal Contribution).
- Xijiang Ke, Hai Jin, Xia Xie, and Jie Cao. 2015. A distributed SVM method based on the iterative MapReduce. In Semantic Computing (ICSC), IEEE International Conference on, pages 116–119. IEEE.
- Xia Xie, Jie Cao, Hai Jin, Xijiang Ke, and Wenzhi Cao. 2012. JRBridge: A framework of large-scale statistical computing for R. In Services Computing Conference (APSCC), IEEE Asia-Pacific, pages 27–34. IEEE.
- [08/2015 - now ] Research Assistant at Utah NLP Lab, Univeristy of Utah, Salt Lake City
- [06/2020 - 12/2020] Applied Scientist Intern at AWS AI, Amazon Lex, Remote
- Our paper on schema-guided dialog got accepted by NAACL 2021.
- [06/2019 - 09/2019] Applied Scientist Intern at AWS AI, Amazon Lex, Seattle
- In CoNLL shared task MRP 2019, our system on cross-framework meaning representation parsing ranked 1st in AMR parsing task, 5th in UCCA, 6th and 7th in PSD and DM tasks. Spotlight Talk
- [05/2018 - 08/2018] Research Intern at Tecent, WechatAI, Palo Alto
- Our dialogue system based Gated Attentive Memory Network ranked Top 2 in DSTC7, and got accepted by AAAI 2019 DSTC7 workshop.
- [09/2008 - 03/2012] Research Assistant at CGCL Lab, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan
- I worked closely with Prof. Xia Xie and Prof. Hai Jin. My research interests are widely around Xen, Xen-ARM virtualization, and distributed computing. We study equipping R language with JVM-based large scale distributed statistical infrastructure, such as Hadoop, Spark.
- [10/2014 - 07/2015] Assistant Researcher, SOHU RDC Lab, Beijing
- Hadoop, Spark, Data migration, Data security, Distributed machine learning
- [07/2013 - 06/2014] Senior Software Engineer, ZUN CLUB (Startup), Beijing
- Heterogeneous data intergration, Hotel recommendation system.
- [03/2012 - 06/2013] Software Engineer, Baidu, Beijing
- Voice Assistant, Mobile Search, Speed optimization, Mobile Anti-Attack
- [08/2010 - 05/2011] Software Engineer Intern, Alibaba, Hangzhou
- KV Storage, MySQL, Database Replication, Real-time Computing, Distributed Pub/Sub Data Pipeline.
Teaching & Mentoring
- 2019-2020, U of Utah, Mentoring Tarun Sunkaraneni, Bachlor Thesis on ‘Transformer-based Observers in Psychotherapy’
- Fall 2018, U of Utah, TA for CS 6350 Machine Learning
- Spring 2019, U of Utah, TA for CS 6355 Structured Prediction
- Fall 2016, U of Utah, TA for CS 6350 Machine Learning
- 2007-2008, HUST, Leader for Algorithm & Game Team in a student innovation organization, Unique Studio
- PC Member / Reviewers for ACL’20,21, EACL’20, EMNLP’20, NAACL’21, CoNLL’19, COLING’20, AAAI’19,20, MRP’2019, etc.
Honors and Awards
-  CoNLL Shared Task, Cross-framework meaning representation parsing, ranked 1st for AMR parsing task.
-  DSTC7 track1, ranked 2nd for both advising and ubuntu in subtask 5(with external knowledge)
-  Our system ‘Talking Geckos’ winned 1st in a question-answering competition during Fall 2015 NLP class.
-  VMware Cloud Computing Innovation Cup, Top 50
-  Google Andriod Innovative Idea Sharing Award
-  “Computer World” Magazine Scholarship (50 students awarded in China)
-  Microsoft ImagineCup
- Algorithm Challenge, Top 50
- Visual Gaming Contest(Project Hoshimi), Top 2 in China, 18th in world final.
-  HUST ACM Programming Contest, Top 3
My CV is Here